To the Ancient Scotland Introduction...

Orphir Round Church

All pictures copyright © 1998 Martin McCarthy

pics/thumb/orphir-1298-1.jpg Looking southwest
Large image (35k 652x400)
pics/thumb/orphir-1298-2.jpg Looking south
Large image (37k 434x610)
pics/thumb/orphir-1298-3.jpg Looking north
Large image (32k 647x374)
pics/thumb/orphir-1298-4.jpg Looking south-east
Large image (27k 412x462)
pics/thumb/orphir-1298-5.jpg Looking north
Large image (54k 617x406)
pics/thumb/orphir-1298-6.jpg Looking east
Large image (46k 623x408)
pics/thumb/orphir-1298-7.jpg Looking south-west
Large image (44k 447x434)
pics/thumb/orphir-1298-8.jpg Looking west
Large image (37k 586x392)
pics/thumb/orphir-1298-10.jpg Looking north
Large image (48k 628x359)
pics/thumb/orphir-1298-11.jpg Looking north-west
Large image (53k 651x385)
Orphir, on Orkney's Mainland, is home to the remains of the only surviving circular church in Scotland.

It was built in the first half of the 12th century and dedicated to St Nicholas.