Torwood Broch stands on the top of Tappoch hill just a few miles to the northwest of Falkirk within the Tor Wood forest. Most Iron Age brochs were built in the far northeast of Scotland, but there are a small number of lowland brochs.
Although the ruins of the walls are now just a few courses high, the broch could have originally stood 10 metres (30 feet) tall or more. The walls are up to 7 metres thick with a substantial stone stairway leading up through the interior of the wall.
The broch was excavated in 1864 and finds included querns for grinding grain into flour, some pottery, and some boulders with cup and ring marks carved into them.